“Blue swallow”
is the film based the true story of the female pilot from South Korea (Park
Kyung Won) in 2005 by Yoon Jong-Chan. In the film “Blue Swallow”, director Yoon
portrays the time period of 1900s. Even though the film was made in 2005,
director Yoon focused on the time period (Japanese colonial era) in this film
well. I would thought that this film was made in 1900s, if the actors were not
familiar to me, nor filmed in colors. I was also amazed about the “flight
shooting” of this film. I thought all the flight scenes were made by computer
graphics, however, based on the director Yoon’s interview, I realized that he
put his efforts on shooting this scene, and had to stay about 2 weeks in Los
Angeles to take these scenes. While watching the film, I could get the main
character, Park KyungWon, was the girl from 1900s but she was stick to 2000s.
There were several scenes that caused me to think this way. For example, in the
beginning of the film, Kyungwon stays outside of the classroom while others
were sitting in the classroom and learn English. This indirectly shows that
KyungWon’s fater is very conservative since he does not let her to study.
However, KyungWon did not give up her desires of ‘flight’, so she decided to go
to Tokyo flight academy.
Personally, I
respect KyungWon’s decision and her desire of the ‘flight’, but her decision
led tragic ends at the end of the film. For example, Jihyuk and Kyungwon went
to the police office since Jihyuk’s friend (news reporter) provoked by
mentioning Korean independence and shootings. The scene when Japanese officers
torture Jihyuk and Kyungwon indirectly shows how Japanese tortured Koreans during
the Japanese colonial era. The one quote from Yoon’s reading indirectly reminds
me of this scene, which was: “the new woman was only passing fad who could not
possibly meet the basic necessities of the family” (P. 79). Park KyungWon, who
is “educated woman”, can be referred as the “new woman” that Yoon mentioned in the
reading. If Park KyungWon give up flying to Joseon, and accept Jihyuk’s
propose, they would not been to the office, nor Jeonghee had to become female
worker in Japan.

No comments:
Post a Comment