Sunday, 30 March 2014

Why a blockbuster?


“The film offers multilayer points of entry for viewers of different national and social backgrounds, ranging from Korean multiplex audiences to international art-house audiences” (Lee: P.54). In some ways it’s highly critical, but not just towards US military and control over Korean government, but it also reflects a criticism towards the Korean government, therefore it would be appealing towards both national and international audience. For example, a proof of criticism on the Korean government is the conversation the younger brother Nam-il and his father. When Nam-il expressed his doubt towards the virus, not sure if it was real or not, his father Hee-bong responded something that, for me, was the highlight of the movie. He said, “if the government says so, we have to accept it. What can we do?” This is a reflection of how Korean citizens felt, and because Hee-bong was already an old man, he was so used to just obeying, while Nam-il, a former student activist, was used to protesting against the government. This scene not only expressed the suppression of the citizens and critique towards the government, underneath the critique it also explains why the movie was such a blockbuster: the range of potential viewers, from young activists to the elderly is very wide, and therefore is an aspect of the movie that would appeal to both very different groups. Therefore the movie The Host “would attract a wide range of demographic groups into theaters and succeed in maximizing the number of domestic audience members” (Lee: P54). Both of these factors contribute to this blockbuster hit and explain why The Host was able to create a new box office record. I would love to talk more about The Host because I have so much to talk about, as I’ve watched this movie so many times, but because I’m presenting on it this Tuesday I’ll leave the rest until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment